Thursday, May 20, 2010

Home Schooling

Today we had the chance to visit the MHSAP office located in Marion. Home schooling is one of few things that I don't know if it's really a benefit or not. The way this program is set up is a very inviting way for a person that knows nothing about the benefits and drawbacks of home schooling. This program was set up and described as more of an off campus school. They really didn't tell us much of how things are run at the home but mainly focused about how their center helps the students. The way they help is through providing the students with extra resources, extra help, and even house visits. When I was doing all my research I didn't find many Home Schooling programs set up like this.
I still have some issues with home schooling. I was hoping that some of these concerns would be whipped out after visiting the MHSAP today. Since the questions I had would of been against home schooling I felt that it would have been inappropriate for today so that is what this blog is for. The first issue I have with home schooling is the fact that you don't follow a traditional lesson of learning. The lessons you learn are the same and the way you learn are almost the same but there to me is a big advantage to a person that is home schooled than anyone else. When you are home schooled you are not on a time track so you get more attention and more help than one would receive in a public, charter, or private school. I don't know anyone that was home schooled and I wanted to know exactly how long do the students have to complete a school term. Because what if they are late with the mastering of a subject, do they receive the extra time needed to complete it or do they receive a failing grade. That is my second issue, do they fail? The administrators never really talked of how a student could fail. If the student cant fail than that is another big problematic advantage. I understand they do have to take the standardized tests but where are these taken... At home, or in an actual school setting?
The biggest issue that I have with the idea of home schooling is how do they prepare you for college. Home schooling is independent but how would one prepare for the pressure of college and trying to socially fit in? It takes some skill to survive in a competitive college and I don't think home schooling prepares you for the pressure that is put on one in this intense social environment. A big university would be a huge challenge for a person that is home schooled because the classes are very large and it would be hard to stop the classes to ask a small question. Above all how does some one that has had individual help all through their schooling learn to survive with little to no individual help in college. Now I know this is not how it is at every college because Coe would be the perfect fit for a person that is home schooled because of the small class sizes, and the help that every professor is willing to give. At the same time not every class at Coe is small and not every teacher is the same, or willing to take the extra time out to attend to one persons needs.
Now I'm curious to know the opinions of my classmates and if they agree or disagree with me. So feel free to say what ever and present any opinion that you have so that we may see every ones' opinion on if home schooling is the way to go or is not the way to go.

7 comments:

  1. There are many advantages and disadvantages for homeschooling. Ultimately, the decision to home school or attend the public school is to decide what the best interest for the child is. For some children being in a quiet, smaller environment is beneficial. Home schooled children receive more one on one attention from their parents/teachers. For other students they benefit from social interactions with other children in public schools. I agree with John Dewey in that children learn best from social interactions with others and therefore see more advantages to the public school. I'm glad I had the opportunity to learn more about homeschooling and how it works. I would still like to know how parents motivate their students to do school work while they are at home or how they separate home and school life when it falls under one roof?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I reflected over what we thought were reasons why parents home school their children, I realized that they never proved any of our reasons wrong. The woman there explained quickly that she home school her children for religious purposes as well as wanting to be involved in her children’s education. These two statements really bothered me. First, to say that the only way to be involved in your children's education is by teaching them I find very offensive. I completely disagree with this point. I think many parents care about their children’s education, and can be involved without being the primary educator of their children. I also think parents can teach their children religious beliefs after school hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the home schooling system. I have personally seen a lot of successful people through home schooling. They have actually been socially successful as well. The one was president of the class of 425 and also was ambassador of his class of the university of Iowa. Also I really do think that home schooling could better prepare you for college. The independent studing is a huge factor in successs in College. Also homeschooling is great for those kids that have anxiety issues with large class rooms.
    Lastly, homeschooling also should be with financially stable families that can support everyone on one salary. Also another plan could be to homeschool during the elementary years and then start them off later in elementary school or starting middle school. I really like the marion assistance program because they really provide all the things you need for all ages. Curriculum, books, enrichment programs, and field trips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that like everything else we've discussed homeschooling can be the right choice for certain people, but not everyone. It's like any other choice people make about education...When done "wrong" students may not bloom socially or educationally. However, it seems that there is a good system in place to keep this in check. Cedric raises some interesting concerns. I'd especially like to know about the failure aspect. It seems as though it would be really hard to fail in this system (especially because the students don't have to take any tests to "prove" improvement). Maybe that's something we can have Christy carefully craft a question and send an email about :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The question I had while walking away was the issue with college, in which Cedric addressed in his blog. It seems that it would be more difficult for students entering into colleges like U of I because of the size. I think it would be interesting to see what the percentage of home school students that go to private colleges compared to public universities. My other question was when she mentioned transcripts on our tour, how exactly are the students graded? Do the parents determine the grades if so are parents normally honest with the grade, or do they change it because they know that colleges would look at them, and also base scholarships off of those grades?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I walked away from the meeting thinking of many more questions. I agree with Cedric's question about if the students fail. This would be very hard to ask them but I would really like to know if they have ever had students fail. I feel like they wouldn't fail because the parents get to make their grades. I am still really puzzled by the fact they do not have to test for the state. Another thing I am also wondering about is with the two parents being able to hold jobs and be the teachers. I think that may be hard to find a job that will allow you to work part time and choose your hours. I also found it interesting that the son of the lady that spoke with us was a teacher in a public school. It would be interesting to know why he did this and what he thought about homeschooling vs public schooling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's an option for the privileged.

    ReplyDelete