Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Betty Shabazz International Charter School



Tuesday morning we woke up early to leave our floor at 7:30am heading to the Betty Shabazz School. This was a charter school that was created in order to create future African-American leaders for the African society. In comparison to all the other schools we visited Betty Shabazz was by far the most interesting once it comes to school culture. Arriving in the morning we were instructed to the cafeteria. We initially were crowded in a corner, but when the more and more kids started to trickle in we were instructed to join in by being a part of the outer circle. Inside the cafeteria there was an inner single and outer circle was a combination of students and staff. There were drums that had an African culture to it. They were wearing African type clothing and the beat they were playing was recognizable as African culture as well. There was a series of clapping and signing that I could not recognize because it was in African language. During the ceremony they brought in an African Flag and with one fist risen in the air they, in unison, said their pledge to their future. I did not get the pledge words exact, but it spoke of liberation and being risen (power). Also during the ceremony there actions that all the students did to stand at attention when it was called. They stood at attention by clutching your right hand in a fist and then crossing arms and tucking the fist under the arm and the other hand grasping your right arm. They even had a relaxed state, where their fist would be held by their hand in front. After being introduced in front of the whole school in the middle circle we moved in to another room where we sat in a big circle for personal introductions and asking questions. The older lady that seemed to be the host for our discussions greeted everyone in the room with a hug and there were about 30 people in the room. I really loved how she hugged everyone individual in the room and even connected with each person by looking into their eyes. Giving the hug is an action of caring that was huge in showing the amount of care she possessed for everyone, but looking into each person’s eyes showed I see you the individual and each hug is special. After our group discussion the 8th grade class was split among each Coe student and we went on a tour of the classrooms. Once walking into our first classroom we were introduced by our 8th grade hosts in the African language. I was introduced as Babba Kevin, which Babba represented me as being respected by the students. Then the entire class at a stand and in attention stance welcomed me in the African language. I felt stunned to be given this much attention and felt like I was taking away from their education and being a distraction. Another thing that gave me an uncomfortable feeling was the eerie feeling I got when thinking about the amount of control the teachers had on their children. It definitely had a military feel for a school, but it some cases structure and control is something that is needed in students’ lives. It seemed that these were really successful students with high test scores, but with the high test scores it seemed that a majority of the students had career goals in performing arts. I remember my middle school days and how I wanted to become a college basketball player, but I also really wanted to become a coach and teacher. These are the careers I’m still aiming for and it seems in a couple years I will be in position to accomplish my dream. Talking with the students after the tours I asked about their homes and if they lived near each other and who they hung out with after school. They seemed hang together for the most part since some students lived somewhat close to each other. I didn't get a great perspective on how they saw their public school friends and whether they spent time together. Since I play basketball at Coe College it was easy to talk to Glen, who seemed to be the basketball stud for the Betty Shabazz team. He is off to Saint Francis and he seemed to realize just how good of a foundation he had to build up on as a result of his schooling. I really hope to check up on Saint Francis in a couple years and see Glen Williams play, because most likely I will be doing a grad assistant position or just helping out with recruiting for the basketball team.

No comments:

Post a Comment